Thursday, March 18, 2010

Roasted Butternut Squash


  
Butternut squash season is almost over. I LOVE this delicious gourd. My recipe is really really simple because I don't t take the skin off which can be a daunting task.  I seed it, chop it and roast!  I also only season it with olive oil because I use it in sweet and savory dishes! The taste to me is similar to a sweet potato but milder.  Butternut with a drizzle of honey and cinnamon creme fraiche? *FAINT*


Roasted Butternut Squash

What You Will Need:
  • 1 Butternut squash (size of your choice)
  • Enough olive oil to coat the diced squash
  • Salt and Pepper, to taste
 
What To Do:
  • Pre-heat oven to 450 degrees
  • Clean the skin of the squash thoroughly
  • With a good sharp knife, cut the top and bottom of the squash and discard (I usually save mine to make vegetable broth)
  • Cut the squash down the center length wise
  • With a spoon scoop out the seeds and stringy parts, discard
  • Cut squash into large strips then into chunks
  • Place in a bowl with olive oil and toss to coat
  • Place squash on a baking sheet and roast for 15 - 20 minutes. Adjust time and temp according to chunk sizes

2 comments:

Tiffany In Houston said...

This looks so good. I had some roasted butternut squash at J Alexanders in Dec 2009. Yours looks way betta!

ThreeFoodWords said...

Thanks T2!!