Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Homemade Cream Biscuits


So the thing about homemade biscuits is that I couldn’t make them until I found this recipe. I can’t even tell you how many biscuit recipes I have run through, how many gallons of buttermilk I’ve wasted or how many pounds of butter and flour that have gone straight to the trash because of my lack of skill!



If I had to give one tip for making biscuits from scratch is to NOT overwork the dough. The time it takes to mix the wet ingredient into the dry ingredients, then placing the dough onto a flour surface for rolling and cutting should be minimal, like about five minutes minimal. The biscuits will be fluffier and airy and soft and just delicious. The one thing that drew me to this recipe was the optional use of heavy whipping cream. Every recipe I have ever used required buttermilk or milk or water. I was quite skeptical but after I made them I am a believer!

The first time I made them I used a buttermilk cream mixture. The second time it was all cream…I prefer the mixture. I liked the soft texture it created. The breakfast table was quiet the morning I made these; mouths were full and only grunts and points were used to request seconds! LOL. Oh and they re-heat very nicely! I hope you guys enjoy as much as we did!

Happy Cooking!













Homemade Cream Biscuits

  
What You Will Need:
  • 2 cups all purpose flour
  • 1 Tbsp baking powder
  • ½ tsp salt
  • ½ cup room temperature unsalted butter
  • ¾ cup heavy whipping cream
  • ¼ cup buttermilk

What to do:
  • Preheat oven to 450 degrees
  • Mix all of the dry ingredients
  • Cut in the butter until it resembles coarse meal
  • Stir cream in to flour mixture and mix quickly with a fork just until dough comes together
  • With your hands gently pat the ingredients together
  • On a lightly floured board and with floured hands pat out to about ½ to ¾ inches thick. DO NOT OVER HANDLE
  • Cut with biscuit cutter (or for old school flavor the mouth of a glass!)
  • Place rounds on a cookie sheet lightly coated with non stick spray and bake for about 12 - 15 minutes
  • Brush with melted salted butter…enjoy!

1 comment:

Tazzee said...

These look delicious and seem fairly easy to make. I'll add this to my recipe box.