Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Food Photo Purge - Shrimp and Grits


One day I'm going to do a proper post for my shrimp and grits. Not today though. LOL

I'd never heard of shrimp and grits until I moved to Texas. Man what a treat I'd been missing!  There are as many ways to make shrimp and grits as there are to make gumbo!  After much practice I finally created my recipe!  It includes cream and white wine and stock and typically three cheeses and of course bacon...so rich and delicious.

Many recipes add the cheese into the grits, I prefer mine on top of my grits. There are just layers of flavor to this dish: boiling the grits in seafood (or chicken) stock, sauteing the shrimp and vegetables in the same pan you fry the bacon in, the different cheese variations (I've used smoked Gouda)...possibilities are endless!


Cook.Eat.Repeat.

1 comment:

Tamar said...

I have lived in Houston for 29 years (all my life) and I've never tried Shrimp and Grits. Probably because I'm not a fan of Shrimp. Grits aren't exactly my favorite either (don't shoot me) but yours looks delish! What kind of sauce is it in? Well I can wait for the recipe. Lol

Do you have any Tex-Mex favorites?