Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Alon's 7-up Cake



So if you’ve been reading me for any amount of time you know that baking is really not my thing. I mean I have some things that I can successfully bang out but a pastry chef I will never be! I’m good on that...lol.



Ninah Bee’s friend, Alon, is honing her housewifery skills by cooking more meals at home. So over the holidays when she kept bragging about this cake and even when my sister was also bragging about this cake...I KNEW I needed to make it.


This cake is junk in your trunk delicious!!! It was moist and flavorful and just downright good. Ninah created some kind of glaze to go over the cake but the cake didn't last that long! LOL
 



Now, I’ve heard Southerners talk about a 7-up cake but I can’t recall ever eating any. I mean the cakes that my grandmothers baked were so boss I never had a desire to try anyone else’s! This cake right here? This cake right here? Gangsta!!
What you need:
  • 3 cups Sugar
  • 2 sticks room temperature butter
  • ½ cup vegetable oil
  • 5 large eggs
  • 3 cups cake flour
  • 7 ounces of regular 7up
  • 1 tsp lemon extract
  • 1 tsp coconut extract


What to do:
  • Preheat oven to 325 degrees
  • In a large mixing bowl, cream sugar, butter and oil
  • Add eggs one at a time mixing thoroughly after each addition
  • Add cake flour and 7-up to cream mixture. Mix until just combined
  • Add the lemon and coconut extracts to the batter and mix for about a minute
  • Pour cake batter into a prepared Bundt cake pan or two prepared loaf pans
  • Bake cake for 1½ hours at 325 degrees or until toothpick inserted in middle comes out clean.

Cook.Eat.Repeat.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The Mrs. isn't much of a baker either but Seven Up
Cake is the lick. There's a lady who sells them at Easter. Sweet and dense. DWin

My.Own.Pace said...

Looks good! I wish I had a slice right now!

Tarsha! said...

L Beezy? Don't be surprised if you get a package!

PHAT - that cake is fantastic!!!! LOVE LOVE LOVE

DWin - thanks for stopping by!! That cake was soooooo good! I'm going to have to reserve it for Thanksgiving...seriously.