Friday, January 14, 2011

Crispy Fried Okra


I own my countriness!

When I was little I hated okra; likely because we picked our fair share of it AND ate our fair share of it! While at a Friday night dinner over the summer with Babe we ordered some. She'd never had it and I realized I'd never fried any as an adult....well I bought the frozen kind for my gumbo but it's not the same!

Babe loved them and requested that we (meaning I) get on frying some for the next day!  Enter our favorite farmers market (which has since closed).  They had the freshest local okra and all summer we bought as much as we could!

The recipe is simple: cornmeal seasoned with salt and pepper,  a little flour and enough oil to deep fry them! We were popping these things like okra flavored jellybeans!!

6 comments:

K. Rock said...

My goodness that looks good. I love okra!! In all forms. Especially fried. No one else in my house will eat it so I dont buy it very often. But you are making me want to fry some up real soon.

Sha Boogie said...

*drool* omg those look so good! i LOVE fried okra. & fried pickles..fried zucchini... lol

chele said...

These look delicious!

Monique said...

I too didn't like fried okra until adulthood and now I can't get enough of it. I love it fried but my favorite is sauteed in butter with fresh shrimp and served over rice. Yum!

Bella said...

Heavenly goodness right there!

Mel said...

Go Tarsha! :)