Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Vanilla Bean Scones



Love. Period.


See I am not a CrackBux junkie but on the rare occassion I partake, I always cop one of their pastries.  Their OK. So when I found this recipe over here I. Couldn't. Wait.


Eating this was like eating a warm, citrusy, sweet biscuit!  The lemon was a WONDERFUL addition to this pastry.
I didn't use the glaze from her site (but I will the next time I make them).  Since I ran out of powdered sugar I used a lemon simple sugar glaze (one part lemon juice to one part sugar, heated until dissolved).  I'm going to whip up a batch for my cousin just so I can have an excuse to make them again...I can't have all that goodness all up in my house less I gain 50lbs!


The only change I made was I did not use vanilla bean paste. I used vanilla bean and I did not use the glaze. I also may have used a bit more lemon zest cause I love lemon in pastries!



Vanilla Bean Scones
Adapted heavily from http://amybites.com/?p=855

What you need:
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 5 tablespoons cold, unsalted butter, cubed
  • 1 cup sour cream (regular)
  • 1 egg yolk
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla bean paste or vanilla beans
  • 1 teaspoon lemon zest


 What to do:
  • Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
  • In a mixing bowl, combine dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, baking soda, and sugar) with cubed butter. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse meal (the dough will be kind of grainy).
  • In a separate bowl, whisk together wet ingredients: sour cream, yolk, vanilla beas, and zest.
  • Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients. Mix with a fork or whisk until dough comes together.
  • Place dough on parchment lined baking sheet, then form with floured hands into an approximately 9 by 12 inch rectangle.
  • Cut into 12 squares, then each in half diagonally until you have 24 wedges*.
  • Bake for 17 minutes or until golden-brown. Let cool on wire rack before using glaze of your choice. 
*I actually got about 15-17 wedges.


 Cook.Eat.Repeat.

Originally posted February 2, 2011

1 comment:

Kayla said...

They look DEELISH!!! I may have to make these.