Friday, September 3, 2010

The Friday Five

Picture Credit: http://blog.libraryjournal.com/bubbleroom/2009/02/



Five food tips that make my life easier!

  1. When I know I am going to have a busy week and there has been no time to menu plan, I will roast a whole chicken or unseasoned chicken breasts or brown a couple of pounds of ground turkey for quick weeknight meals (salads, sloppy joes, quesadillas, stir fries, etc). Half of the work is already done!
  2. I break down my vegetables as soon as I get them in the kitchen, I wash and chop and often, freeze our surplus of fresh vegetables and fruits. Makes it easier to throw together a weeknight meal when all you have to do is grab a pre-portioned package of clean, fresh vegetables or whip a smoothie with fresh frozen fruit! 
  3. I also place my fresh fruits and vegetables at eye level in my fridge. There was a time when I threw away far more fresh produce than I actually cooked or ate! I make mixed fruit cups, vegetable cups, etc. Easy access! 
  4. We have to watch our sodium intake. I love bacon. I rinse the bacon prior to cooking. Still get the great flavor with less sodium. Even when I buy the "lower sodium" bacon I rinse it. 
  5. Babe is not allowed to eat breakfast at school....have y'all seen what passes for breakfast at most schools? Bleh! Besides, if it were left up to Babe she would eat junk at every meal! *shrug* she's 8! So to make breakfast time easier and somewhat healthier during the week, I make homemade waffles and/or pancakes and freeze them along with pre-cooked sausage or bacon. Thirty seconds in the microwave... breakfast!

What are some of YOUR food tips that make life more manageable?

4 comments:

Unknown said...

some of my food tips is inviting my girl over to cook...**hint** lol!

Tarsha! said...

*long siiiiiiiiiiiigh*

MrsSaditty said...

I wash, cut, season, and marinade my meats prior to freezing. Then, I just grab a package and thaw on weekday mornings and throw it in the over or on the grill at night. Because its been pre-seasoned and marinating, it usually is spoon tender. Sautee some spinach or sugar snaps and its a meal!

Tarsha R said...

MrsSaditty

This is stolen! I am doing this this weekend! GREAT idea...great!