Sunday, June 20, 2010

Oatmeal Raisin Pecan



I can't bake a cookie for ish.  Well it is rare that I bake a decent cookie but I try and try and try! This cookie however was scrumptious.  It has some of my favorite elements: pecans, raisins and brown sugar! Yummy yummo yum!  I imagine you can use any dried fruit or nut you'd like but I stuck to the original recipe that I got from here.

The only changes I made:
  • I toasted my pecans on the stove
  • I used light brown sugar (that's what I had in the pantry)
  • I made smaller cookies.

Enjoy!

Oatmeal Raisin Pecan


What You Need:
  • ¾ cups coarsely chopped pecans
  • 1 cup old-fashioned rolled oats (do not use quick cooking or instant oats)
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour (be sure to measure properly)
  • ½ teaspoon baking powder
  • ⅛ teaspoon baking soda
  • ½ teaspoon salt
  • 1 stick unsalted butter, softened but still cool
  • 1 cup packed dark brown sugar
  • 1 large egg
  • ¾ teaspoon vanilla extract
  • ¾ cup raisins or currants

 
What To Do:
  • Set the racks in upper and lower thirds of the oven and preheat to 350 degrees. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
  • Place chopped pecans in a skillet and 'toast' for about 5 minutes, until crisp. Set aside to cool. 
  • In a medium bowl, combine oats, flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt and stir to mix well.
  • In the bowl of a standing mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat together the butter and brown sugar on medium speed until creamy, about 3 minutes. Scrape down sides of bowl with a rubber spatula, then add egg and vanilla and beat again until smooth, about 30 seconds.
  • Add flour and oatmeal mixture and mix on low speed until just combined; add pecans and raisins and mix again. Do not over-mix.
  • Drop dough into 2-tablespoon mounds (about the size of a golf ball) about 3 inches apart onto prepared baking sheets (you should have ten on each sheet). Bake until edges are slightly golden but centers are still pale, about 15 to 18 minutes.
  • Let cookies cool on baking sheets for a few minutes, then either slide the papers off the pans onto cooling racks or transfer cookies with a spatula. Once cool, store cookies in an air-tight container.



Cook. Eat. Repeat.

 

No comments: