Monday, May 16, 2011

Andouille Stuffed Pastry


On a recent shopping excursion to Whol.e Foo.ds I came across some andouille sausage. Know why this sausage made me do a double take, the sausage was not encased. The sausage I usually purchase I use for gumbo so this was a real treat. I loved that I could see spices and herbs, throw in that it is organic too #WIN!



Oh and y’all already know I LOVE ME SOME puff pastry.

So I decided to make “fancy hot pockets” as Babe called them! This dish is a definite Weeknight Winner™. I plan on trying this as a two bite appetizer in the future using mini phyllo cups with a spicy sauce of some sort.






One note of caution, be sure to drain as much oil as possible from the meat mixture or the bottom part of the “pocket” will be greasy. Also, you can use shredded cheese but I prefer slices.











What You Need:
1 tablespoon cooking oil
1/4 cup each celery, onions, bell peppers, diced
½ lb Andouille Sausage (or any seasoned ground beef or pork)
1/4 cup sliced mushrooms
1 puff pastry sheet, thawed according to package directions
1 cup shredded cheese or 3-4 slices of cheese
Egg wash (1 egg mixed with two tablespoons water)

What To Do:
Preheat oven to 400 degrees
In a medium skillet over medium heat add oil celery, onions and bell peppers. Cook until soft, 5-7 minutes
To the skillet, add sausage and cook until done, about 10 minutes
Add mushrooms and cook for another 5 minutes
Drain the heck out of the sausage mixture. Set aside
On a lightly floured surface unfold the puff pastry
On one end of the pastry, layer the cheese.  Place the sausage mixture atop the cheese
Carefully fold the pastry over the sausage cheese mixture
Seal the pastry closed on each side with the tins of a fork
Lightly brush the pastry with the egg wash
Place in 400 degree oven for 20 minutes or until the pastry is browned and puffed. Serve immediately


Cook.EAT.Repeat.


Author note: For some reason my formatting functions are not working. Apologies!

4 comments:

chele said...

this looks delicious. I love andouille sausage. I will definitely be trying this one.

Anonymous said...

Yummmmmmm! This sounds delicious. I mean - can you really go wrong with just about ANYTHING wrapped in puff pastry?? Might have to try this over the weekend. Thanks for sharing!

ShaBoogiesince1982 said...

Why must you torture me?!

1) Hubby doesn't eat pork, therefore neither do I (in front of him, hahhaaaa)

2) I don't even think I can dream of making that, it looks SO good!

Icey said...

These could easily be prepped with ground chicken or turkey or with no meat at all!

This is so easy to prep Sha!