Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Chicken: Adobo Style!

I have never had adobo anything (I don't think) but after I found this I couldnt wait to see what it tasted like. Well I still havent opened it but when I found this recipe I was excited.  For some reason 'adobo' sounds exotic so I thought surely I will have to go to Kryton to find some of the spices! Nope...I had (or normally have) all of the items listed. It is always interesting how a culture can put unrelated ingredients together to get a unique flavor.

Honey and apple cider vinegar?  Have you smelled apple cider vinegar???? Peppy Le P U!

Anywho, I can admit I was skeptical but glad I followed through!  The ease of putting this together and the cook time make it a winner weeknight meal! At this rate I may never open that jar...

You can find the original recipe here (Appetite For China)

Chicken Adobo Style!
Adapted heavily from http://appetiteforchina.com/recipes/filipino-chicken-adobo

What You Need:
  • 6 skinless chicken thighs
  • 2-3 tablespoons vegetable oil (enough to sear the thighs on both sides)
  • 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoons each of salt, black pepper and paprika (you want enough to season both sides of the chicken
  • 1 large onion, chopped
  • 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1/2 cup white or apple cider vinegar (I used apple cider vinegar)
  • 1/2 cup soy sauce (I used reduced sodium)
  • 1/4 cup water
  • 2 bay leaves
  • 3-4 tablespoons pure maple syrup or honey (I used maple syrup)

What to do:
  1. Heat oil in a skillet over medium high heat
  2. Season chicken thighs with spices
  3. Place thighs in skillet and sear until a light golden brown, about 5-7 minutes per side (I actually had a tad too much oil so I drained a bit of it out of the pan)
  4. Add the onions and garlic and the bay leaf to the chicken, right on top
  5. Pour the vinegar, soy sauce and water over everything and bring to a simmer
  6. Add the maple syrup. Cover and simmer for 20 to 30 mnutes

We enjoyed this over some Indian Spiced Rice we had leftover from Sunday dinner.


Cook. Eat. Repeat.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This looks so yummy, I am gonna try it his weekend, I will let you know how it comes out. ~Genita~

Tarsha! said...

It was a very interesting flavor combination...in a good way!